Thursday, January 12, 2012

Why You Want A Nintendo 3DS

I was the proud owner of an XBOX 360 for several years, from my senior year in high school, all the way through graduating from Radford University with my Bachelor's Degree of Science in Software Engineering, and my first year of employment in the Information Technology field. I have always loved video games, and the XBOX 360 was a great little toy for me; it had great games, amazing graphics, endless downloadable content from Microsoft, and other add-ons like Facebook and Netflix that made the XBOX 360 much more than a simple gaming machine.

However, as time went on, I found myself complaining more and more about certain aspects of my XBOX, rather than enjoying the unique experience it provided. For starters, I found it ridiculous that users were forced to pay $50.00 per year in order to unlock online multiplayer. Microsoft told me that I should be happy that the price is so low, as they previously charged $75.00 per year. I don't buy that. The Playstation Network is completely free for owners of the Playstation 3. The Nintendo Wii doesn't really have a consistent online network, forcing game developers to include a way to play online, which is unique to each game. This creates all kinds of other problems with quality control, but the bottom line is IT IS STILL FREE. I'm getting off-topic, but the point is I was tired of paying for a service that was ultimately free among every other competitor of the XBOX 360. Since the XBOX 360 and its games are geared heavily towards online play, this left me with the choice of terrible campaign and single player modes in XBOX 360 games, or a new video game system altogether. I chose the latter.

I boxed up the XBOX 360, sold it, and hadn't played a video game in several months when my girlfriend asked me the question that every person of the Christian faith loves to hear. What would you like for Christmas? It just so happened that I had been doing some research on what new video game system I might want as my next platform. I had looked into the Nintendo Wii, but when I think of playing a video game, I think of kicking back in my recliner with a beer, not jumping and waving my arms around to the point where I'm wheezing like a 70-year old lifetime smoker, and pitting out my t-shirt. Then it occurred to me. What about mobile gaming systems? I had owned a Sega Gamegear when I was 10 years old, but I hadn't really gotten into anything like it since then primarily because the graphics in systems past had been so terrible, the added bonus of being able to play on the go wasn't worth the sacrifice in graphics and the quality of the games. Fortunately, technology is wonderful, and mobile video game systems have come a long way since Sega's Gamegear. 


I did my usual research, and I was left with two finalists. Playstation Vita, the successor to the very popular Playstation Portable (PSP), and Nintendo 3DS, the successor to the Nintendo DS/DSi/DS Lite. Ultimately, I chose the Nintendo 3DS, and I've been enjoying that decision more and more every time I pick up my 3DS, and am blown away by the 3D graphics, which by the way do not require the goofy, thick-framed glasses. Nintendo utilized a Digital Media Professionals (DMP) PICA200 graphics chip for their amazing effects. Not only capable of 3D, the Nintendo 3DS has been reviewed by many video game platform reviewers as having graphic qualities similar to that of the XBOX 360 and Playstation 3.


The Nintendo 3DS is one of only three mobile devices that have incorporated 3D graphics without the need of glasses, the only other devices being the Android HTC Evo 3, and the LG Optimus. This is obviously the main selling point of the 3DS, but there are also several other features that make this one of the most amazing, and successful video game platforms ever. There are two screens on the Nintendo 3DS, the top, larger screen contains the 3D capabilities, and this is where the action takes place in games. However, the user does not always have to play in 3D mode. There is a slider on the right side of the screen that enables the user to customize the level of 3D variation added to the game, similar to the volume slider on the left side of the system. Sliding the bar all the way to the top, enables the 3D at maximum capacity, and the further down the user slides the bar, lessens the intensity of the 3D capabilities, all the way to completely turning them off when the bar is all the way at the bottom. The bottom, smaller screen features touch-screen capabilities, meant for use with a stylus that slides neatly into the back of the system, which is used for secondary portions of video games. For example, you would look at the top screen to move your character around, and attack enemies, but you would use the stylus and the bottom screen to edit your character's inventory, or items he/she is wearing.


The 3DS features WiFi capability, which allows the user to access its unique web-browser to surf the internet, as well as connect to Nintendo's online marketplace, opening up the doors for new content, apps, music, movies, video, and games (both new 3DS games, and classics originally made for older platforms). It also features surround sound capabilities, which work not only with the speakers on either side of the top screen, but also allows for surround sound technology when using any headphones simply by plugging them into the 3.5 mm headphone jack on the base of the system.


The content of Nintendo's online marketplace could use some work and new content, but with it being a relatively new system, I'll allow Nintendo and third party developers some time to create new apps that utilize the many unique features of the Nintendo 3DS. At the launch of the 3DS, there were not many games available that were worth-while, giving many critics the notion that the 3DS was a dust collector until newer, better games could be developed. However, as time progressed, newer, better games were finally released, and it was well worth the wait.


One of the premiere titles released for the Nintendo 3DS, and the first title that I purchased for my own system, was the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Many of you may recognize the title, and if you owned a Nintendo 64, then you probably have already played it. The developers did much more than format this title with a few easy tweaks so that it would simply run on the 3DS, they revolutionized the game; overlaying the previous 3D models with entirely new graphics, re-designing the various sections of the fictional world of the game, Hyrule, and improved on the movements of the titular character, Link. The 3D capability adds a unique sense of depth perception to an already remarkably eye-popping video game.


All in all, the Nintendo 3DS is amazing system, and at just $169.99, you would be hard pressed to find another video game system that offers as many capabilities and functions, at a price even close to the one featured for the 3DS. With a few amazing games already released, and several more being developed, the Nintendo 3DS proves to be one of the best video game platforms available today.



No comments:

Post a Comment